Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homemade Lara Bars

I'm still trying to figure out my favorite "protein/energy/snack" bar, but I love the Lara Bars for their simple ingredient list.  I've tried several recipes found online, and combined a few to come up with this one:
*2 1/2 c. dates
*1 1/4 c. raw almonds
*1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
*3-4 TBSP. natural peanut butter
*1/4 c. dried currants
*1/8 c. mini chocolate chips
In a food processor process the dated until they form a paste.  Remove and set aside.  Add almonds and oats to food processor and pulse to roughly chop.  Combine date paste and almond mix, and add peanut butter.  Stir in currants and chocolate chips.  Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper.  Pour mix into pan and press firmly to flatten.  (I fold the extra edges from the paper over the top and press down on that.) Refrigerate about 4 hours.  Remove parchment from pan and place on cutting board.  Use a sharp chef's knife to cut into 12 equal bars.  I wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and store all of them in a container in the fridge.

No comments: