Thursday, August 30, 2012

Roasted Salsa

Next year I will find a better balance between having so many tomatoes come on at once that I can't get all of them canned/frozen/eaten and my too-staggered plantings that give me just enough for a couple servings of marinara every night.  In the meantime I'm enjoying finding new recipes to try in small batches. Here's one I found last year and have enjoyed making this summer. It is just as easy as a fresh salsa, but with a much deeper flavor.

*1 1/2 lb. tomatoes (large work better, but I've used everything from cherry to Roma to heirloom)
*1 medium white onion, halved
*3 jalapenos (I pull out half the seeds)
*3-4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
*3 TBSP. lime juice, 2 limes
*coarse salt and ground pepper
*1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Heat broiler with rack in top position.  Place tomatoes, onion, jalapenos and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Broil until vegetables are blistered and slightly softened, rotating sheet and turning vegetables frequently, 6-8 minutes.  If the garlic starts to get too brown, pull it out early. Discard garlic skins.  In a food processor, pulse the vegetables until coarsely pureed.  Add lime juice, salt and pepper and pulse.  Stir in cilantro. Refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

No comments: