Friday, August 15, 2008

Zucchini Bread

This time of year it seems the gardens are overflowing with zucchini and I have a couple good ideas on how to use it. First, did you know you can freeze it? Either puree it and freeze or shred it or cut it into small cubes and freeze in airtight bags. It will last about a year in the freezer. I measure it into the bag in 2 or 3 cup increments so it is easy to pull out and use in my favorite recipes.
Zucchini Bread
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. pureed white beans (or  1 c. veg. oil)
3 eggs
2 c. shredded zucchini (I actually puree mine so there aren’t any funky green sinews!)
3 c. flour (I use a wheat/6-grain blend)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. clove
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
In a mixer cream together sugar and oil. Add eggs one at a time until blended and mix in zucchini. Sift together dry ingredients in a medium bowl and slowly add to the zucchini mixture. Pour into greased and floured pans filling 2/3 full (I use the 4x7-ish size and it makes 3) and bake at 350 for about 1 hour. Start watching after 45 minutes and test for doneness with a toothpick. Remove from pans and let cool on racks. Keep in fridge or freeze (wrap in foil and place in large freezer bag) remaining bread. Seriously in the summer I make about 20+ loaves of this stuff and we eat it until next summer.
I made a batch with my nephew and we decided to try making some mini-muffins with the batter. They were so fun and only took about 12 min. to bake.

No comments: