Friday, August 15, 2008

Nutmeg


While we were making the Zucchini Bread, I learned that some people still buy ground nutmeg. Did you know that you can buy the whole nutmeg 'nuts' and use a microplane grater to grind it yourself? The nuts stay fresh much longer and I really think there is a big difference on the taste. Just make sure to get all of the 'nut dust' off the grater when you are finished.
I have lots of bread and cookie recipes that use nutmeg, but I also like to add it to creamy sauces or soups.

1 comment:

Carlee Hoopes said...

That's a great tip. I was given a spice rack for my wedding and have always just relied on those spices to flavor my food. This summer I started growing some herbs (chives, basil, and cilantro) and I am amazed at how much better my food tastes now that I use fresh herbs. It seems like I can cut down on the ingredients needed to season the food substantially when I just use some fresh herbs instead of dried herbs. I will definitely have to get some nutmeg and see how much better it is than the stuff in my spice rack. Also, it's cheaper and simple to grow your own herbs and I'm sure it's cheaper to grind your own nutmeg as well. Good tip!