Thursday, July 23, 2009

Corn Tortillas

When I was younger I didn't care for corn tortillas because we always got the preformed taco shells and they would always break and crumble and generally make a mess of anything I was trying to eat. I can't remember when we switched to flour tortillas, but I've stayed fairly loyal to them ever since. Then, a few years ago, I was introduced to the fish taco and corn tortillas won me over.
Well, I've used masa before but never ventured to make my own tortillas until now. I was a little intimidated because I didn't know what kind of tortilla press to get and such. Well, after watching the pros at cooking class, I figured I could just as easily make my own.

Start with some masa. This is corn flour that can be found in either the Latin or baking aisles at your grocery store. Maseca seems to be a common brand in these parts...look for a white bag with big yellow and green corn on the package.To serve about 4 people mix 2 cups masa with 1 1/4 c. water and 1/4 tsp. salt. (Follow instructions on your bag). Stir well for a couple minutes until a soft dough forms. Form the dough into a ball just larger than a golf ball. If the dough is sticking to your hands, add some more flour and stir well. Flatten the dough ball between two hands, if the edges crack it is too dry and you should add more water. When the dough is ready, it's time to press. If you've got a tortilla press, use it. If not, grab two squares of plastic wrap and a heavy book. Place one sheet of plastic on your table. Put the dough ball in the center and cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Place a heavy book on top and press firmly and evenly to flatten to about 1/16-1/8 inch. Carefully remove from plastic and either place on griddle or under slightly damp towel until ready to cook.Preheat griddle or skillet to medium high. Cook tortillas for almost a minute on each side. Keep warm with a cloth napkin. Serve warm with beans, cheese, shredded meat, or just dip into some salsa. I can't tell you how much we've enjoyed eating these...

1 comment:

Nicole Feliciano said...

Thanks for this show and tell on tortillas. I hope you get a chance to link up to my recipe exchange.

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts-baked-flounder.html