Thursday, August 27, 2009

Banana Cake

I've disliked bananas for as long as I can remember. I even tried pretending I was allergic to them to avoid having to eat them in any form. I gave up feeling guilty about it when I learned that the humble potato has more potassium than the banana. It has only been in the past year or so that I have been able to pick them up to buy them at the store for the hubby and girls. I've never met anyone who hated them as much as I did, so I laughed when I read this a couple weeks ago and was happy to know that someone shared my distaste for this fruit. I figured if she could enjoy a product made with bananas, I'd follow the advice I give the girls to just give it a taste. It took me two days to talk myself into it, and I had to have the hubby mash up the bananas to keep from gagging. I'll reserve my opinion, but will say that I shared it with many who loved the taste and texture of this cake.

*2 sticks butter, softened
*1 1/2 c. + 2 TBSP. sugar
*3 eggs
*1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4)
*4 c. + 2 TBSP. flour
*1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
*1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
*1 1/2 c. sour cream

Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. Set aside and preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time beating well to incorporate. Add bananas and beat. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Alternate adding sour cream and dry ingredients. Beat well. Pour into cake pan and bake 1 hour 10 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Invert and let cool before slicing. She recommended serving with butter.
I initially sprinkled powdered sugar on, but the hubby suggested chocolate frosting, we'd already given part of it to a neighbor so here's the glaze I made for 2/3 of the cake.
*1 square semi sweet baking chocolate
*3 TBSP. butter
*1/2 - 1 c. powdered sugar
Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute. Whisk well to combine. Add powdered sugar until chocolate is slightly thick, but still thin enough to drizzle. Pour over top of cake.

No comments: