Monday, October 12, 2009

Basil Pesto

I realized it had been too long since I'd made pesto when I consumed a whole bowl of it at last month's book club meeting. Not to worry, I've made and enjoyed several batches since then to repent.
Pesto is a great sauce because the proportions are just guides and you can adjust to taste and texture. I have two tips I learned from Martha's Cooking School. First, blanch the garlic by covering it with water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat, drain and let garlic cool. This will take away some of the 'raw' garlic flavor. Second, working the basil too much will damage the flavor, so it is preferred that you use a mortar and pestle (hence pesto) to bruise the basil and incorporate the garlic flavor. I tried this once and it took almost 20 minutes to get the right texture for 2 c. of basil, so I went right back to the food processor, but think twice about pulsing more than necessary.

*2 c. loose packed basil leaves
*3-4 cloves garlic peeled (and blanched, if desired)
*3 TBSP. pine nuts or walnuts (toasted and chopped)
*1/2 tsp. Kosher or sea salt
*1/3 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
*1/2 c. good extra-virgin olive oil

Combine basil, garlic, nuts and salt in a food processor (or blender) until the nuts and garlic are pasty. Add the cheese and blend to incorporate. Pour in the oil in a slow steady stream and mix until combined. Serve immediately or cover with a layer of oil and store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Pesto can be frozen, but it is not recommended to add the cheese until ready to use. And I have heard that walnuts freeze better than pine nuts.
I love pesto tossed with cheese tortellini, in tomato-based soups and smeared on a toasted slice of baguette with some fresh mozzarella and some tomato sauce.

No comments: