Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pasta Mama

I've become a big fan of the Food Network show, The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Carlee and I often chat after episodes and compare notes on which dishes we need to try. We both agreed a recent dish called 'Pasta Mama' looked yummy. Right after the show I went to the restaurant's website to get more info about the dish.
It is evidently a breakfast dish, but it sounded a lot like pasta carbonara to me, so we enjoyed it for dinner. This is not what you'd call a light dish and the hubby and I agreed this would be a perfect carb-loading meal.

*5 oz. of pasta (about 1/3 lb. fresh or dry)
*2 eggs, beaten
*2 cloves minced garlic
*2 TBS. chopped parsley
*1 TBS. olive oil (or butter)
*1 TBS. water
*1 TBS. of fresh grated Parmesan
*¼ tsp. garlic powder
*¼ tsp. oregano
*¼ tsp. seasoning salt
*¼ tsp. onion powder

Prepare pasta – fresh takes 2-3 minutes; follow directions on packaging of dry pasta (Leftover pasta can also be used. Add at same time as it is added below and warm in pan with 1 TBS
hot water before adding eggs.)
Turn on stove on medium. Pour oil (or melt butter) in 10 inch sauté pan.
Add minced garlic and dry seasonings; sauté together 1- 2 min.Add parsley; add pasta with 1 TBS hot water (Make sure leftover pasta or cold pasta is hot before adding parsley or eggs)
Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. (I made 1.5 of the recipe and it was a bit tricky to add the eggs, tossing enough to cook, but not scramble the eggs and I ended up with 2 clumps of egg, so work quickly and turn down the heat a bit at this point)
Add Parmesan, cook through and serve. I also cooked up 4 strips of bacon and tossed in the pan with the cheese...YUMMY!

No comments: