Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tacos al Pastor

One of my hubby's favorite dishes at our favorite eatery is tacos al pastor. We had some leftover pork and I needed something spicy to warm up on a cold day...so I started thinking about those tacos and went online to find a recipe. Turns out this is a dish that needs to soak in a marinade for 4-12 hours, and I hadn't planned on that time, so here's my improvisation.

*1/4 yellow onion, chopped
*1/4 c. crushed pineapple
*1/4 c. orange juice
*2 TBSP. vinegar
*2 TBSP. chili powder
*2-3 cloves garlic
*1 tsp. coarse salt
*1/2 tsp. oregano
*1/2 tsp. cumin
*1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce

Puree all ingredients in a blender. Pour sauce over about 3/4 -1 lb. cooked pork roast in a slow-cooker. Cook on low for 2-4 hours. The meat should be pretty shredded by this point. Serve warm on corn tortillas with crushed pineapple, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Seriously, these were delicious and after eating four tacos, I was tempted to do a fifth. I reserved a bit of the sauce and drizzled over the completed tacos...it was good enough to drink and I am thinking of ways to use it in more dishes.

No comments: