Monday, October 5, 2009

Apple Cider, Cranberry & Ginger Punch

This month's issue of Living included several seasonal drinks which looked so tasty. This one called for ginger beer, a new ingredient for me. I asked my hubby about it, was informed that Utah County stocks it everywhere, and the next day was brought a bottle of the stuff as a present, with a warning from him that this will put hair on your chest. He was not kidding and I was not prepared for the burning in my throat - it's no wonder I don't drink the real hard stuff. (Note: authentic recipes use honey or sugar and this brand used high fructose corn syrup, etc.)
Anyway, I mixed these up for our evening nightcap. My hubby loved it, but next time I'll just use ginger ale.

*1/3 c. fresh cranberries
*2 TBSP sugar
*1 1/2 c. fresh apple cider
*2/3 c. chilled ginger beer
*2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
*3 1/2 oz. gin (if desired)

Muddle cranberries with sugar in a pitcher. Add apple cider, ginger beer and lemon juice (and gin). Divide among 4 glasses. Serve chilled or over ice.

No comments: