Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lentil Tacos

The first night I made these I got, "these are healthy, right?" from my husband...because I made the mistake of telling him (a big meat-lover) what they were.  Three days later all the left-overs were gone and he was asking me to please make some more.  My bean-burrito-loving daughter and I LOVE them and I the filling can easily be used as a dip, enchilada filling, on a taco salad, or as a side.
Nutrition note: lentils are very high in fiber and protein, loaded with folic acid, iron, phosphorus and potassium.  They are also very low on the glycemic index and very inexpensive.

*1 finely chopped yellow onion
*2 garlic cloves, minced
*1 c. dried brown lentils, rinsed
*1 TBSP. chili powder
*2 tsp. ground cumin
*1 tsp. dried oregano
*2 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until softened.  Add lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano, then cook and stir for a minute or two.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Check lentils for doneness at 35 minutes; it may take as long as 45 minutes (you are looking for tender, but not mushy). Uncover and cook for a few minutes until any remaining moisture dissipates.

If using as tacos, serve in a warm corn tortilla with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and shredded cheddar.  For a burrito, us a flour tortilla  rolled up.  For enchiladas, fill corn tortilla, roll, cover with enchilada sauce and cheese then bake to heat.


No comments: