Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Soft Ginger Cookies

A few years ago I was invited to a holiday cookie exchange. I thought it sounded very fun and readily agreed to come. A couple days later I got all of the details and about had a stroke when I learned that I needed to bring 12 DOZEN cookies. So I looked for a recipe that would make a lot of cookies without a lot of effort and this was the winner. The flavor is perfect for this time of year and since they are soft and chewy in the middle, mmmm, life is good!

¾ c. vegetable shortening

1 c. sugar, plus more for rolling

1 large egg

¼ c. molasses

2 c. sifted all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 ½ tsp. ground ginger

½ tsp. ground cloves

½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until thoroughly combined and fluffy.

Add the egg and molasses and beat until completely incorporated. Stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt—slowly add to mixture. Stir until combined. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls (a tsp. scoop works perfect). Roll balls in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten the balls slightly with your fingertips.

Bake 8-10 min (mine take exactly 9 for a soft cookie and 11 for a slightly crunchy cookie). Cool on wire racks.

I really can't decide if I like them better hot out of the oven or chilled, so I always eat plenty at each temp. They stay fresh for several days (if they last that long) but also freeze really well so you can sneak one or two on those stressful holiday days!


Last night for book club I took these and some pumpkin dip:

Cream together:

4 oz. soft cream cheese

1 c. powdered sugar

Add:

1/2 c. pumpkin puree

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. orange juice

Chill if you have time.


No comments: