Monday, September 14, 2009

Breaded Parmesan Chicken

A few months ago I got a mailer for a new cooking magazine and in their information was a sample of helpful hints that would be included in each magazine. I didn't subscribe, but one of the hints was to add cornstarch to egg whites as the glue coating on breaded chicken. I still hadn't tried it, but some leftover marinara sauce in my fridge had me thinking about Chicken Parmesan...seriously, this chicken was good enough for me to eat about twice the amount I usually would have.

*8 chicken tenders
*2 egg whites
*2 tsp. cornstarch
*splash of lemon juice

*1 1/2 c. bread crumbs
*1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese (from the green can)
*1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
*1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
*1 TBSP. fresh chopped parsley

I had some leftover French bread and decided to make my own break crumbs - cut into cubes, pulse until crumbs, bake it at 200 for about 15 minutes until dry.

Blot chicken with a paper towel to dry. In a shallow dish, whisk egg whites, cornstarch and lemon juice until well-blended. In a separate shallow dish, combine bread, cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Dip chicken in egg mixture, coating thoroughly, then into bread mixture, pressing to coat. Place chicken on a cooling rack to set for about 30 minutes. I put mine over a baking sheet, covered chicken with foil and refrigerated it for about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 450. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place chicken into skillet to brown (2-3 minutes). Carefully turn chicken and move skillet to oven. Bake another 7-8 minutes until cooked through. Remove from skillet and serve with marinara sauce over top.

1 comment:

Lindsay Heitz said...

This has become a weekly meal at our house and we all love it!!