Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Smothered Chicken with Brown Rice

For some reason just about everything in my kitchen this week came from Kraft. This was very good, and I don't even like carrots. I would make the 'sauce' part of this again because my 4-yr-old thought it was Alfredo and I almost had to agree.

*6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (I always use the precooked stuff)
*6 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I used just over a lb. of chicken tenders)
*1 large onion, chopped (mine was pretty small, but it worked fine)
*6 large carrots, sliced (I used baby carrots, and sliced them VERY thin, like 1/8-1/16 in, until about 1.5 cups)
*1 can (14 oz.) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
*4 oz. cream cheese (use the lower fat kind)
*3 c. cooked brown rice, hot

Cook and stir bacon in a large skilled until crisp (or use the microwave). Remove bacon, drain and wipe out pan. Over medium heat add chicken to skillet and cook about 2 minutes on each side until browned; cover. Cook about 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm (if you put the plate in the microwave, NOT TURNED ON, it will keep warm longer).
Add onions to skillet and saute about 5 minutes until tender. Add carrots and 3/4 c. broth. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, put remaining broth and cream cheese in a blender. When veggies are done, remove about 1/3 c. veggies and add them to blender. Process until smooth sauce forms. Put chicken back in skillet with veggies and pour sauce over everything. Stir to combine and cover for a few more minutes to heat through.Spoon rice onto serving plate and top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with bacon. I also added some chopped, fresh parsley.

My youngest ate 4 bowls of this and the rest of us enjoyed it very much.